Monday, October 29, 2012

Bookworm at heart.

I don’t exactly remember when I started to read, I just remember in kindergarten going to all these different classes to learn the letters and how you say them.  However, I do remember in the first grade when everybody was reading easy books, I was reading chapter books.  That was a big thing for a first grader. My teacher was so surprised at the fact I could understand the context of the book that she let me read to the class.  The books I read to the class were by no means “hard”. They were Magic Tree House books; I had read the entire series by third grade.

            I went from reading for fun to not having any choice.  We were introduced to AR in the second grade. It wasn’t the fun knowing that if you didn’t read a certain amount, you would fail. That almost ruined reading for me until I came across my favorite series of books. The Series of Unfortunate Events were my favorite books. They recreated reading for me. They always kept me wanting to read more. It was the way Count Olaf would do anything just to get the children’s fortune, and how they would have to do crazy and bizarre things to get away from him. They kept me on the edge of my seat and I spent the next two years reading all thirteen books.
            In fourth grade I was introduced to the greatest series of all time, the Harry Potter series. That series changed everything about my education. The immense vocabulary that was in the book was defiantly one of the largest challenges, but the story is what kept me going. When I got to parts that I really didn’t understand I would stop and think to myself “What just happened?” Where most people would have given up due to the difficult comprehension, I did whatever I had to do to understand what was happening in the story.  This technique of comprehension ended up helping me later on in life on difficult text like Silas Marner or Night.
           
            Doing all of that as a fourth grader most people were either impressed or shocked. My friends, being the ones who were shocked, that it was strange that I enjoyed reading and would sometimes want to read rather than playing video games. My parents, being the people who were impressed, thought it was a great thing that I read! My mom often raced me in reading books in which she would always win.

            It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I started not to like to read. It got to a point where I couldn’t found any books that interested me anymore.  I guess with the new development of video games, I never have time to search for a good book.  I know deep inside me I still love to read. It just has to be the right book.

3 comments:

  1. If you enjoyed reading so much, you should pick back up on it. Find a good series or genre interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that it takes a good book that intrest me to want read it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your narrative. I like your title, how did you come up with it? I would also like to good recovery on your upcoming surgery. ;)

    ReplyDelete